Friday, February 21, 2014

Practicum ~ Week 3 ~ Autoclaving

Day 1 - Today was autoclaving. This week already went off to a bad start since I got monday off due to family day. So it was kind of disorderly this morning. I guess the original perceptor that I was supposed to have called in sick, and one girl was late and the other was going to be late because she was called in. So I was just asked to sit in the break room before one of the two showed up and whoever did I would go with them for the day. So today my perceptor was Phaedra. 

But basically to start off the day, on a monday, you would wash out the autoclaves with metashine and then rinse it down to clean it. Then you would do a warm up cycle, a bowie dick test, then a leak test. Then you can put in your loads. The hospital here puts in a BI in every single load so that if one becomes negative you only have to recall that load rather than 3 loads before etc. Autoclaving basically is just a lot of paperwork and then you can work on other things, like I did some steripeel, then some wrapping like how I would have in instruments.

Day 2 - This day was pretty much exactly the same as the day before, except that I had a different person with me. The person that I had was Tami, she has a very vivacious personality and is very anal about certain things which you come to learn some people can have specific ways in how they do things, just depends on the person. But today we hardly had any work at all we did only 1 large cart, and a ton of little carts. So if there is no work to do, you just float around and do things. I just emptied the steris machines and placed them in the proper places that they should go. I did a synthes screw set, and put in new screws for it. Then I just wrapped basins, because everyone does that when it gets boring.

Day 3 - Mistakes! Mistakes! Mistakes! That is all that I had today, I kept on putting the wrong information on the different autoclaves, so if I meant to put the info. on one it would be the wrong slate or autoclave paper work that I needed to do. And to top it all off today was more boring than yesterday, so I was not focusing whatsoever. I even sat at a table reading tray sheets since it was so dead. Nobody had hardly anything to do at all, it was bad. 

Day 4 - Potluck! This day we had a "heritage" potluck, which meant that you would bring a dish based on your heritage. Honestly, hands down it was the best potluck i have ever been to, there was potato soup, hawaiian meatballs, there was pastries from this bakery called Klassy's (best bakery ever), homemade perogies, etc. It was so good, and so much good. Practicum wise though I was with Mike, he pretty much just let me run the show as if I was actually working there. It was nice because I was able to figure out my own flow instead of trying to learn someone else's flow. But it was another slow day again. I did lung biospy trays, core biopsy trays, steripeel, the normal stuff that you do when there is nothing else to do. But it was a good day and less mistakes. I was nervous in the beginnning though since he kind of let me take the reigns but I am glad that he did because I figured out my OWN flow. But it was a good day, my favorite of the week and with the potluck we had some good laughs too with some good food.

Stay tuned for next week...sterrad..dun..dunn...dunnnn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment