Monday, March 31, 2014

Practicum ~ Week 8 ~ CP

For my last week of my practicum it was a "make up" week. So the weeks that you may have really sucked at you can redeem yourself. 

Day 1 - I was on sites this day. I was with Alex, who is another casual. All you do with sites is you package up things that come from milk river, coalhurst, taber, pincher creek etc. Basically all the areas around lethbridge and you sterilize them, and send them off to them in sealed boxes. Check the lists and make sure everything is on their lists. 

Day 2 ~ 3 - This day I was with Rozina and we were in decontamination. I don't mind decontamination at all now, it was nice because now I knew what came apart, what didn't and if I had any questions I simply asked what came apart if I did not know. It was so much fun though because Rozina likes to blast music and sing along to the songs. So I began to loosen up in decontamination and was singing along with her and kind of dancing. But in the future when I go into decontamination I would love to blast music that I like and sing along with it because it makes it go by faster and it is much more fun too. 

Day 4 ~ 5 - I was with Lesley that day and what is cool is that she was in the Edmonton area before she came to Lethbridge so she was able to give me some insight in what it was like in that area. It is nice because she told me they never write anything down but they scan it into the computer since they get so many different items and they are a 24/7 operation so there is tons of work to do all the time. During these last two days I was doing autoclave and I cannot lie the first night I was horrible. I got too overwhelmed and did not know first what to focus on, so I started to cry a little bit I was horrified! But when you look at a table that is covered in items it is hard to focus on what is priority and what isn't. But luckily Lesley came in to save me and she helped me know what was priority and what wasn't. Another girl told me to watch around the room as well and be aware of what is going on. To think about what everyone else is doing before making a load is important as well because especially sites needs to be done and cooled by the end of the night. But Lesley was awesome, I wish I would have gotten her number so that I could have had some tequila or whiskey with her one night. 

But that is the conclusion of my practicum. It was the hardest thing I had to go through in my life, it changed my work ethic, it changed my perspective of life and it makes me want to work for something in my life. I am so grateful for all of my wonderful teachers and for the hospital for allowing me to do my practicum there. I truly feel like I am ready to embark upon my career and I hope to succeed in my new future. I am glad to be a central processor and am grateful for everything I learned on my practicum

No comments:

Post a Comment